Reporting an Incident
If you suspect identity theft or fraud, you need to take immediate action to minimize damage.
Contact your Financial Advisor or the Merrill Lynch Service Center . If you are a client in the U.S. you can also call 1-800-MERRILL (637-7455) . If you are located outside of the U.S, please call toll free +1-609-818-8900.
If you believe you have received a hoax e-mail (phishing e-mail) that appears to be from Merrill Lynch, please attach it to a new e-mail message with “FRAUD” in the subject header and send to email@example.com.
- Contact the fraud department of any one of the three major credit bureaus to place a fraud alert on your credit file.
- Notify any other financial institution(s) if you suspect you are a victim of identity theft.
- File a police report where the theft occurred. Be sure to get the report number and a copy of the report in case you need to provide proof of the crime later.
- Report stolen checks and stop payment on them immediately.
- Close all credit accounts that have been fraudulently accessed or opened, and ask that old accounts be processed as "account closed at consumer's request."
- Notify your state's Department of Motor Vehicles or equivalent organization outside of the U.S. if your driver's license number has been lost or stolen. Put a fraud alert on your license and request a new license number.