How Merrill Protects Your Personal Information
Protecting your personal information is a shared responsibility. That's why Merrill has implemented safeguard measures across our global organization.
- Authenticating you when you call, visit us online or visit us at the branch office
- Offering all clients the opportunity to create a security code to securely access account information over the phone
- Using common security technologies help to protect your information, including when you are logged in to our network of Merrill websites
- Monitoring ongoing transactions against established activity profiles
- Contacting you if fraud is suspected on your account
- Training our employees in the appropriate policies and procedures help to protect your personal information
- Delivering statements electronically to reduce the chance of mail theft
Remember: We do not call our clients and ask for their personal information. We already have your information on file. We only ask you for some pieces of your personal information to authenticate when you call us.
Our Authentication Standards
Merrill protects your information with stringent authentication standards. Here is how we validate the request is coming from you:
At branch offices:
- Your financial advisor and his/her associates have a personal relationship with you. They collect information about you to understand your investment and transaction needs and practices.
On the phone:
- We follow strict, documented procedures to validate your identity.
- We offer all clients the opportunity to create a security code to securely access account information over the phone.
- You must enter a valid User ID and password in order to gain access to your account information, account profile, account history, etc.
- Comprehensive security features built into our site and the mobile apps are designed to protect the privacy and security of your personal information, including:
- Security questions with your personal answers to protect against unauthorized attempts to access your accounts.
- An optional authorization code that you may establish to provide an added level of security. Once you enable this service online via the Security Center, we’ll send you a one-time code at each login based on your receipt preference. This option may be customized at any time.
Merrill’s employees are trained in incident response and resolution procedures. If you suspect that you have been a victim of identity theft or fraud, please call us at 1.800.MERRILL (637-7455), or contact your financial advisor.
Forward any suspicious email or text message to us at email@example.com.
All guarantees and benefits of the insurance policy are backed by the claims-paying ability of the issuing insurance company. They are not obligations of, nor backed by, Merrill or its affiliates, nor do Merrill or its affiliates make any representations or guarantees regarding the claims-paying ability of the issuing insurance company.
Insurance and annuity products offered through Merrill Lynch Life Agency Inc.